2475Re: speedo/OBC problem [bmw e28] Digest Number 567?

  • sheetfar
    Jun 15, 2004
      Stuart,

      I have since fixed the problem, as mentioned in a previous post.
      (Also, I might add that the cruise control didn't work, either.)

      Thanks for the input. I had forgotten that they use the same
      electronic sensing devices in cars that are used in robotics and
      conveyor systems to locate the position of an object. Your mention
      of the Hall-Effect brought that back to mind. Perhaps the
      word "transducer" doesn't apply here. Maybe "proximity switch" does.
      Thank you for the correction and help.

      It is nice to know that people who have worked with various
      electronic devices and industries use this newsgroup.

      -Russ

      --- In bmwe28@..., "Stuart Logan" <stuartlogan@e...>
      wrote:
      > The Speedo is electronic in these cars, so any work to the rear
      > axle, - specifically the 'transducer' as you call it, would be
      > the direct cause of these issues.
      >
      > Also, the Fuel economy gauge is NOT a Vacuum gauge of any sort.
      > It is a relatively direct display from the Engine FI Computer
      > showing fuel delivery rate .vs. speed (from) the 'tempo' signal
      > generated by the hall effect unit in the rear axle (the same
      > unit that supplies the Speedo, OBC, and Cruise Control).
      >
      > Stuart Logan
      > '83 528e
      > '84 528e
      > '85 535i