2526Re: Batteries in dash behind the odometer...

  • sheetfar
    Jul 7, 2004
      There are two AA rechargeable batteries. You need the type with
      solder lugs on the ends. Several possibilities are:

      What I used:
      Panasonic # P-80AAS (Ni-Cd 800mAh/1.2v KR-15/51)

      Another possibility:
      Radio Shack # 23-191
      1.25V/600mAH Ni-Cd Battery w/Tabs

      The batteries control the service interval lights (green/yellow/red)
      that tell you when to change the oil, etc.

      If you want to read a bunch more about it, look at
      www.unofficialbmw.com/repair_faqs/sil.html

      --- In bmwe28@..., "purplehead2002"
      <purplehead2002@y...> wrote:
      > What do the batteries in the dash do? Do they control the
      > vacuum control, [fuel] economy instrument, and other items?
      >
      > I suspect that the batteries are shot, but I have not gotten
      > behind the dash to change them out yet.
      >
      > Are they common run-of-the-mill batteries or specific BMW part
      > numbers that I need? How many of them do I need?
      >
      > Thank you for your time,
      >
      > Joel T. Gonzalez
      > San Antonio, TX. (U.S.A.)
      > (83) 528e