2555Re: [bmw e28] New owner

  • clinton Hughes
    Jul 18, 2004
      First off I would like to say THANKS for the reply! Also about shipping it over I wont need to convert to US Specs d2 it being 25yrs old by the time I ship out of here. It will clear customs. Allready checked it out. I am currently stationed in Sicily. For the cars (520)condition The motor was rebuilt last year (inline 6 w/4 speed), the body is straight, paint is ok starting to pee in some places but the guy I bought it from slapped some primer on the trouble spots. The interior is pretty good w/exception to the seats normal wear and tear for being used for 20 some yrs! The main reason why I'm lookin for somewhere to get parts is the 4bbl carb secondaires dont like to stay open so I'm lookin for either a rebuild kit, a new one, or something like a Holley, Edelbrock type of carb that will fit the intake. Plus I have the original manual for it but its in itailion! So If i can I would like to find one in english, if you know what I mean. For the performance parts I've just
      been able to find parts for the newer bimmer's like 90's and up(the stuff for Fuel Injection). Just isnt as easy to find the info like if you were restoring a classic Chevy, Mopar, or Ford. And trying to get the info out of italions is like using a butter knife to cut through stone! Thanks again for the info! When I get to take some pics of it I'll send ya one!

      Clint

      mark mogensen <mogie830@...> wrote:

      Hey congrats man!! I love these cars to death. I'm in the states and you have what all of us drool over, the euro bumpers.. lol. As far as taking it back to the states i would more than likely say no. The e28's are relatively cheap in europe and the transport and the legalizing of the car for US specs is quite expensive. I have heard of people importing cars and it costs around $5,000 after everything is done (this is the lowest i have seen so it could be more). If you really love that particular car, and its in exquisite condition and you don't mind the money go for it. Where exactly are you stationed? Germany? As far as upgrades you have many of the upgrades that we don't have. The euro cars were much better looking, they had more power, they are lighter and all around better. As far as the engine there are many upgrades available, there are ECU performance chips available, there are improved camshafts, you can bolt on a better head all together. You can tweak the exhaust, improved
      flow with cat back exhaust and headers. Body modifications are limited, besides the euro bumper the best looking and highest quality parts are the orignial M-teknic body kit. This was a dealer option part on the cars and it is VERY HIGH quality. I am actually in the process of purchasing this M-Teknic kit from a guy in London (Shipping is a real B!tch though) I would stray away from any aftermarket body kits, they are of cheaper quality and you can't go wrong with OEM. I hope i gave you a little insight, there are tons of modifications you can do to these cars, they truly were ahead of their time and are very well made.

      Mark M