      From: bmwe28@... [mailto:bmwe28@...]
      Sent: July 27, 2004 4:46 AM
      To: bmwe28@...
      Subject: [bmw e28] Digest Number 603

      There are 5 messages in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. RE: Batteries behind center instrument panel.
      From: "john Gieringer" <jcgieri@...>
      2. RE: Batteries behind center instrument panel.
      From: Wesley Clark <528bmw@...>
      3. RE: Batteries behind center instrument panel.
      From: Joel Trevino Gonzalez <purplehead2002@...>
      4. Re: e28 american prices or reviews?
      From: mark mogensen <mogie830@...>
      5. Re: e28 american prices or reviews?
      From: Ron Kall <ronjkall@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 08:43:58 -0500
      From: "john Gieringer" <jcgieri@...>
      Subject: RE: Batteries behind center instrument panel.

      I have an '85 535i and it has the batteries on the circuit board that's in
      the instrument cluster between the tachometer and spedometer. I have a
      spare instrument cluster and it also has the batteries.

      Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 09:00:45 -0700 (PDT)
      From: Wesley Clark <528bmw@...>

      If you have a cluster without the batteries, then someone removed that
      board, again those batteries have nothing to do with the speedometer, fuel
      economy gauge , and tach, the only function these batteries are for is to
      keep the memory for the service indicator lights, to let you know when to
      change the oil. I removed that board from the instrument cluster on my 83
      528e , and the speedometer, tach , and fuel economy gauge still work fine
      however the odometer quit working, and this is because of the three small
      gears that run it, two of which are made of rubber , and the heat over the
      years make them brittle and they break, and most of the time it is when
      someone resets the trip odometer while the car is moving, this is a no no
      since it puts a strain on these already about to break gears reset the
      trip odometer before you move the car!

      Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 11:00:04 -0700 (PDT)
      From: Joel Trevino Gonzalez <purplehead2002@...>

      Hi Wesley,

      Glad to hear from your side of the story. With my instrument panel,
      the odometer, speedometer, and fuel economy gauge were not working. The
      only thing that functioned was the tachometer as it receives it's signal off
      of either the coil or from the speed switch probe on the transmission
      housing.
      Come to think of it, since this car belonged to someone else, I did
      notice that the speed trip(reset function) was already zeroed out! I'm
      going to look into those gears and see what I can decipher from it. The sun
      here in Texas is cruel with anything plastic.
      When I get home, I will look at those gears. Thanks to all of you out
      there(you know who) who have put in there info. on this matter.

      Joel Gonzalez
      (83) B.M.W. 528e
      San Antonio,
      TEXAS

      Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 14:07:13 -0700 (PDT)
      From: mark mogensen <mogie830@...>
      Subject: Re: e28 american prices or reviews?

      I remember people saying that in the USA original prices for a 535i were
      around $32,000. As far as reviews i haven't seen that many. I did read one
      but i can't remember where it was, there are more reviews on the e28 M5
      rather than the plain 535i but i'll keep checking for ya.
      Mark

      Message: 5
      Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 14:37:24 -0700 (PDT)
      From: Ron Kall <ronjkall@...>

      Mark,

      my 1986 528e msrp'd at 31.1k. i recall that the 535i's
      were another 10k up from there. i would put it 38-40k
      in my mind.

      Ron Kall

      1986 528e
      1985 535i

      --- mark mogensen <mogie830@...> wrote:

      > I remember people saying that in the USA original
      > prices for a 535i were around $32,000. As far as
      > reviews i haven't seen that many. I did read one but
      > i can't remember where it was, there are more
      > reviews on the e28 M5 rather than the plain 535i but
      > i'll keep checking for ya.
      > Mark

      > removed]

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail