2768Re: [bmw e28] Re: Paint for the wheels

  • Ron Adams
    Aug 29, 2004
      Hi Ron, I just painted my wheels on my 1986 524td. It is a simple process, and it looked just like the original finish and color. You don't even have to take the tires off the rims. Here's what I did:

      1. Take the tire off of the car
      2. clean and sand the rims as smooth as you can.
      3. I used a light gray Duplicolor Primer and Sealer from Autozone. Make sure that you get the Primer and Sealer(one can). It makes the rims that much smoother.
      4. use painter's tape from Home Depot and go around the rim, taping it to the tire. The stuff i used had tape on it and 2 foot plastic attached to it. You have to rip the plastic as you go around the rim, but then you just fold the plastic under the tire to protect it.
      5.spray the rims with 2 coats of the primer-sealer

      6. Autozone also has special wheel paint, again Duplicolor. There are two colors of silver, the light and the slightly darker one. i used the slightly darker one. I put two coats of the silver on.

      7. Next, within 1-2 hours, spray the Duplicolor clear wheel paint over the top. Use two coats. Let dry, put tire back on car.

      don't use the paint in over 855 humidity, because I screwed up one that way. Two of them came out perfect, the other one i have to redo. However, once I finished them and put them on the car, you could not tell them apart from the original rims. It looks great. Even my mechanic did not know which one was original and which one was painted.

      Good luck and have fun.

      Ron Adams

      Ron Kall <ronjkall@...> wrote:
      Has anyone painted their wheels. My OEM wheel is
      great. It was the spare. I made the mistake when I
      bought the car new in 1986 of spending $1,200.00 for
      chrome wheels. I later found out that BMW of Riverside
      takes the stock wheels down the street to a chrome
      shop and gets them plated. The chrome started peeling
      after five years or so. So bad that the tires would
      not hold air. I bought three OEM wheels at the
      junkyard, but one is in bad shape. A little paint
      would help. What color and where to buy such paint to
      fix up my wayward wheel. I would prefer brushing and
      not spraying since I do not plan to take the tire off
      the wheel. Any advice.

      --- griffinaffelsauce <griffinaffelsauce@...>
      wrote:

      > how long will yours last?
      > 300k?
      >
      > my odometer stopped working at 214,668 but it easily
      > has 226k
      >
      > -griffin
      > 87 535is

      =====