2924Re: [bmw e28] '86 528e auto/surging

  • Joel T. Gonzalez
    Oct 14, 2004
      Start checking out that problematic auxiliary fuel pump(in the gasoline tank itself). If the main fuel pump outside (and immediately next to the tank) doesn't have that help from the auxiliary it will start to buckle(while driving) up and down like if your were on a horse.
      Make sure that your fuel tank was not hit on the bottom(some curb or obstacle) that might have pushed/dent upwards just a little bit as that auxiliary fuel pump is next to the bottom edge of the tank and prone to easily being damaged as what happened with my car.

      Good luck,

      Joel T. Gonzalez
      San Antonio, TX.
      (83) B.M.W. 528e

      Barry Mercer <vmebarry@...> wrote:

      I aquired an 528e with fuil injection recently and it seems to have a
      lack of good exceleration, and tends to climb and stall, and climb
      and stall, as you try to gass it up to get on the freeway ramps.
      Fuel pump? Return valve? Injecters? ???

      The car seems to be in good overall shape, and the trans works well.
      150K miles. Just did the belt and ajusted valves. Has good plugs, and
      ect. It surges about every 3 to 4 RPM rise in excelleration, but runs
      smooth at all other times, except on start up when it runs quite
      rough untill warm, is that normal?

      Got any good ideas? Should I replace the fuel pump and return valve,
      or start with injectors? Could it be something electrical I am
      missing?

      VME Barry
      VP of the Vintage Motorcycle Enthusiasts Seattle Washington