2934Re: [bmw e28] '86 528e auto/surging

  • Barry Mercer
    Oct 15, 2004
      Wow, That about covers it I guess!

      Both Paul and Joel had very sound advice.
      Thank you!

      I have been meaning to check the main grounds, as my AC blew a fuse
      last summer. I have also been meaning to repalce all the fuses, and
      sand the turmanals. I will check the pumps also, may just replace
      the one in the tank, as I supose it is a pain to get to, and if I'm
      in there to check it anyway, might as well start out fresh.

      I don't think I will go as far as getting a new car though, as the
      car is a very nice town car, and performance is not what I am looking
      for for my 16 year old daughter. She is high mantinance enough!

      Thanks again

      Best Regards,
      Barry Mercer

      --- In bmwe28@..., "Steve Austin" <steveaustin1@h...>
      wrote:
      > I would look at the following: Run a dose of fuel injector cleaner
      through
      > fuel tank (Redline SI 1 is good). Change out fuel filter, check
      for vacuum
      > leaks, check O-rings on fuel injectors, check fuel pipes, check
      fuel fuse
      > and relay are OK and correctly seated (I had a poor contact on
      fuse which
      > had similar effect for me), clean all electrical grounds
      with "detoxit"
      > (particularly engine ground, ground under rear seat, and ground
      under
      > steering wheel. Check fuel pressure regulator valve. Check main
      and in
      > tank transfer fuel pumps. Check fuel injectors for clogging. Check
      Airflow
      > meter for metal vein binding. Check position of TPS on throttle
      body.

      > Thats about it. If you still have problem - get another car!
      >
      > --Paul
      >
      > >From: "Barry Mercer" <vmebarry@h...>
      > >To: bmwe28@...
      > >Subject: [bmw e28] '86 528e auto/surging
      > >Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 15:14:04 -0000
      > >

      > >I aquired an 528e with fuil injection recently and it seems to
      have a
      > >lack of good exceleration, and tends to climb and stall, and climb
      > >and stall, as you try to gass it up to get on the freeway ramps.
      > >Fuel pump? Return valve? Injecters? ???
      > >
      > >The car seems to be in good overall shape, and the trans works
      well.
      > >150K miles. Just did the belt and ajusted valves. Has good plugs,
      and
      > >ect. It surges about every 3 to 4 RPM rise in excelleration, but
      runs
      > >smooth at all other times, except on start up when it runs quite
      > >rough untill warm, is that normal?
      > >
      > >Got any good ideas? Should I replace the fuel pump and return
      valve,
      > >or start with injectors? Could it be something electrical I am
      > >missing?
      > >
      > >VME Barry
      > >VP of the Vintage Motorcycle Enthusiasts Seattle Washington

      > Use MSN Messenger to send music and pics to your friends
      > http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic