2956Re: [bmw e28] '86 528e auto/surging

  • Steve Austin
    Oct 19, 2004
      Barry

      Look at message number 2795 and follow the link in that message. You can
      get the pump and strainer (intank filter that attaches to the pump) from
      Rockauto.com. Click on Cheverolet, click on 1976, click on Vega and click
      on fuel/air. Pump is Airtex E3900 and Strainer is FS100 or FS101. I used
      FS101 it is long and thin and works fine but FS100 is more like the shape
      used by BMW on original - so long as it will fit down the entrance hole that
      is. Cost is $28.70 for pump and either $7.30 for FS100 or �3.80 for FS101.
      Postage to the UK is �43. Took 1 week to come and cost < $70 (<�50 compared
      to �145 for new BMW pump and strainer). It is best to get 2 new gaskets,
      one for the top of the fuel tank and one for the sender unit. A BMW dealer
      has these or can order them for about �3 for the 2.

      The reason the BMW OE pump is so expensive is because it comes as a complete
      unit with strainer and bracket attached. It is a very easy swap but
      patience is required when carefully drilling off (with a 5 mm drill) the two
      rivets that hold the original pump to the bracket. The total job is 1 to 2
      hours. The vega pump is a perfect swap and is held to the brack with cable
      ties (from any DIY shop for pennies). Good Luck. Any further
      questions/help needed just ask.
      cheers -- Paul

      http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic