3015Re: subframe bushings

  • sheetfar
    1 Nov 16:30
      Doug,

      The BMW subframe can hit the underside of the car under certain
      conditions. You must think German when working on these cars. The
      subframe was NOT designed to place a floor jack under the car in the
      middle (under the rear differential).

      The other thing that can cause the subframe to strike the car body
      is if the subframe mount bushings are worn out.

      I have seen some e28's bump or thud when taking a hard corner with a
      ripple or bump in the middle of the turn.

      -Russ

      --- In bmwe28@..., "Doug Dykaar" <ddykaar@r...> wrote:
      > I'm trying to diagnose a banging noise I get from the rear of
      > the car over bumps. The banging seems to happen over smaller
      > bumps with passengers. Car has 140k mi, Bilstein Sports, H&R
      > springs, DInan bars. The front has all new bushings, but I
      > only did the dogbones on the rear.
      >
      > So is there a way to check the rear subframe bushings? If I've
      > been banging the subframe into something, where would I look
      > to see evidence of the impact (e.g. paint chipped away)?
      >
      > TIA,
      >
      > Doug
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic