3031Re: [bmw e28] RE: E28 subframe bushings

  • sfj642
    4 Nov 18:26
      Hi - I've been watching this thread.

      The main subframe rubber bushes are big ones on each side of the sub-frame
      and you will get a clonk on the overrun or on taking up the drive if they
      are worn out. They normally fail around 150,000 miles max. especially on
      the more powerful cars. Unusually, they work up-and-down rather than
      rotating like most rubber bushes so are subjected to much greater stress and
      movement.

      Now this is unusual - but people in the know say "take it to a BMW main
      dealer". The reason is that they have a special tool and also that the bolt
      holding the lot together rusts solidly and is a real *** to remove.
      Although it will cost you, there is a standard charge set by BMW (ask for
      it) for replacing these bushes. Probably work out cheaper than an
      open-ended job by a mechanic unfamiliar with the problems.

      I never regretted having mine done this way - at 160,000 the bolts were well
      and truly rusted in and it took two or three hours to get them out (although
      I was in the customer lounge, I could hear an awful lot of banging going on
      !).

      Whilst under there, ask them to check out the third mounting which is above
      the diff - it is less stressed so may be OK; mine was.

      Hope this is helpful

      Regards from Jim Butterworth (Somerset, UK)
      1985 521i SE auto and 1989 318i auto