3108Re: [bmw e28] heater motor

  • Brian M. Armstrong
    21 Nov 12:37
      went through the same issue on my 84 528e. i replace the motor and
      got the same result. i then sprayed a little wd-40 and it shut up.
      problem fixed! Well, actually the car smelled pretty bad for days
      but the noise quit! i think that there was probably some form of
      lubricant in the bearings and over time it is lost. the replacement
      of that lub should resove the noise issue.
      as far as the growling issue. pull the plate off of the firewall
      and make sure the motor hasn't shifted. it is only held in by a
      simple clip and it will rotate after time. realigning it with the
      plastic squirrel cage covers should resolve that problem.
      hope this helps.

      brian

      --- In bmwe28@..., Craig <caddvm@y...> wrote:
      > I believe the bearings are bronze sintered bushings. At any rate I
      put a drop of oil around each bushing and it quieted the blower in
      my 80 528i.

      > Craig
      >
      > jeroenkrijnen <jeroenkrijnen@h...> wrote:
      >
      > Hi, both my e28's produce noise from the heater motor when
      switched
      > on. In my 1984 520i (267.000km) it's a whistle produced in level 1
      > which more or less shuts up in level 2 and stops completely when
      > switched to level 3.
      > In my 1986 528i (220.000km)the noise is a growly rumble in all
      > levels, but tends to shut up when switched in level 3.
      > I've heard this will be probably caused by a worn heater motor
      > bearing, and that it's impossible to replace it. I find that hard
      > believe, so I would like to read stories that prove otherwise. Is
      it
      > possible to replace that bearing, and how to do it best?
      >
      > Jeroen, Netherlands

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      Service.