3279Re: [bmw e28] Re: CV Boots cooked by Bosal Muffler?

  • Ron Kall
    Feb 11, 2005
      Brian,

      If you go to Kragen's website and search parts for
      your car, then you will likely end up with numberous
      options to either swap out the boot, and as long as
      you are doing one, then you should do both. You will
      also see that you can buy the whole half shaft,
      cordone is the mfg., for $80.00 or so with a core
      charge that comes back for $75.00. I always order
      stuff online and use ebates on the front end to get a
      rebate of 6%. Stuff is alyways cheaper online than on
      the shelf at the Kragen store. To my amazement, the
      store guy here in RC, CA pulled up a cheaper price ont
      he same reman part - $71.99. So its either buy two
      boot kits and fuss with pressing on and off one of the
      CV joints and spending $40.00 or a little more and
      your job is six bolts, 8mm hex, on the inner and the
      outer and you are done. The worst part is cleaning the
      bolts and stuff and transferring the cap from the old
      half shaft to the new half shaft after cleaning it.

      take care,
      --- "Brian M. Armstrong" <barmstrong@...>
      wrote:

      > darn right, do you have that supplier info. i have
      > the same issue
      > with one of my boots and i'm not looking forward to
      > dealing with it.
      >
      > brian
      > --- In bmwe28@..., Ron Kall
      > <ronjkall@y...> wrote:
      > > Just a note,
      > >
      > > I just replaced my right rear half shaft. I think
      > the
      > > Bosal muffler cooked the inner CV boot. It was the
      > > only one of the four in the back that was ripped.
      > > Instead of reworking the half shaft and replacing
      > both
      > > boots, cost $40.00 or so, I just bought a remaned
      > half
      > > shaft at Kragen for $71.99 before the core charge.
      > Six
      > > bolts on each side and down she comes. I did the
      > job
      > > in the street on two rear jack stands. Give me a
      > shout
      > > if anyone wants any further details.
      > >
      > > Ron
      > >
      > > =====
      > > Ron Kall
      > > Rancho Cucamonga, CA 91730
      > >

      > > 1986 528e
      > > 1985 535i

      > > All your favorites on one personal page � Try My
      > Yahoo!
      > > http://my.yahoo.com

      =====
      Ron Kall