3358Re: [bmw e28] Brake light warning light?

  • Barry Mercer
    Mar 2, 2005
      Yes there is a check system, but it did not always light up when the
      car was
      turned on. It only pops when you hit a bump, or press the brake
      peddle. It
      has to be related to a short in the circuit somewhere. The radio,
      mileage
      computer and the glove box are on the same circut. The Speedo and
      the Tack
      will also take a dive when it shorts, so it is a short some where?
      It has
      not blown the fuse though. Perplexing as it may be, it may just be a
      bad
      brake light switch. I am going to pull the lower panel and check it
      next.

      Thanks for your ideas!
      Barry

      --- In bmwe28@..., Phil Davis <pld1952@y...> wrote:
      > This is how the system works, it doesn't know if the
      > brake lights work till you push the brake pedal to
      > activate the brake lights. Use silver base Phillips
      > brand bulbs, also some silicone bulb grease will keep
      > the scokets in good shape and free of corrosion.
      > Phil
      >
      > --- Ed MacVaugh <macvaugh@c...> wrote:
      >
      > > Reading the manual, that is the way it is supposed
      > > to work. The circuit
      > > cannot check the bulbs until you press the pedal.
      > >
      > > Brass based bulbs can cause the intermittent light
      > > illumination.
      > >
      > > Don't think the pop in the speakers is related.
      > >
      > > Ed
      > >
      > > Barry Mercer wrote:
      > >

      > > > I keep getting a brake light warning light when I
      > > start my '86 528e
      > > > US model. Then when I step on the brake it goes
      > > out. I checked the
      > > > grounds, and cleaned the front and rear ground. I
      > > also made sure
      > > > that the ground plate on the tail lights were both
      > > properly
      > > > grounded. One of the brake light sockets is
      > > developing some
      > > > electrical scaling on the contact on the ground
      > > side, but after
      > > > cleaning, and replacing the bulbs, it did not
      > > change the warning
      > > > light.
      > >

      > > --
      > > Date: 2/25/2005