3388Re: [bmw e28] 533 accident update

  • KK P
    Mar 9, 2005
      Ron, Bill & Phil,
      First of all, Thank you for your replys.

      The engine is now spewing oil from the head gaskets
      and the rear seals.
      The car can not even be driven at this point.
      Just to replace seals is $1800US.
      With 200,000 miles on the engine I thought it would be
      smarter to get a total rebuild.
      I am afraid that once they open up my existing engine,
      it will create a 'snowball effect'.
      The accident knocked a lot of things loose.
      Block is not cracked.
      Keith

      Ron wrote:
      just keep putting oil in it. that's only 6 quarts or
      so between oil changes. oil is oil, buy the cheapest
      oil you can find as long as it is rated at the current
      oil spec, i.e. sg or se now? you would be wasting
      money by putting a new engine to fix a ten dollar
      habit of wasting oil between oil changes.

      --- Phil Davis <pld1952@...> wrote:
      > Have a shop with the proper equipment do an "oil dye
      > leak test" - this will find the source of the leak
      > without guessing.
      > Phil
      >

      > --- william ripley <bilripley@...> wrote:
      > > i am suprised he want's to rebuild the engine with
      > > just an oil leak.
      > > unless the leak is a crack in the block.
      > >
      > > i am in the same boat ( not a leak but some
      > upcoming
      > > problems that either i do or get expensive for a
      > 88
      > > )
      > > .
      > >
      > > i would get a second opinion and find out where
      > the
      > > leak is first
      > >
      > > is it leaking or burning oil and where is the
      > leak.
      > >
      > > if it's from the oil pan it cost me 350 canadian
      > > replace the gasket on the oil pan.
      > >
      > > is the oilpan damaged from the reck.
      > >
      > > is the leak comming from the head gasket.
      > >
      > > i would try to answer these ? first as there are
      > > cheaper ways to fix some problems than the
      > mechanics
      > > buying bosch parts and replacing everything
      > >
      > > bill

      > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      > > Yahoo!
      > > Terms of Service.