3585Re: [bmw e28] 535i, M535i, M5

  • Bob Sutterfield
    May 8, 2005
      --- In bmwe28@..., "Arny K." <arny@p...> wrote:
      > Do M5 and M535 share common suspension parts and do they have
      > similar handling, i.e. is it something like someone took an M5
      > and pulled the S38 engine out and installed a regular M30B35? Or
      > are similarities only cosmetic?

      All E28s share suspension components. M5s have the self-leveling
      rear suspension, which by now many owners have removed and replaced
      with more economically maintainable conventional shock absorbers.

      > It would be soo great if I could have a car with M5's handling and
      > a street-engine... and 3.5 is not quite an anemic one... :)
      >
      > Regards,
      > Arny
      > '85. 528i

      You can install aftermarket springs and dampers and sway bars,
      along with wheels and high performance tires, on any E28. This
      gives you the same handling potential from the 518i to the M5.

      Along with all the above, my 535iS has brakes from an E34 540i,
      also an engine chip, flywheel from a 533i/M5, and a 3.73:1 limited
      slip differential. It is quite a capable sedan :-) Consider the
      recent autocross results (and the other cars in my class) at
      http://ggcbmwcca.org/download/drivingevents/autocross/autox05mar.pdf
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic