3611Re: [bmw e28] will an m535i powerplant go into a 528e?

  • elephantjuice54
    May 18, 2005
      Real quick - forum protocol questions. Is it preferred that responses
      happen at the top of the reply or at the bottom? Do I need to hit
      "respond to all" or can I just hit "respond" for it to go to the
      community?

      Hi David

      Warning - I type at around 90wpm and think in complete sentances so my
      emails get long in a hurry. If its a problem, let me know.

      I just picked this 528e up approx 3 months ago so up until this point,
      its been merely fixing broken things and bringing it back to "zero" so
      to speak. What parts I've replaced I've tried to replace with high
      end components.

      I call her Gretchen and have pictures of it here...
      http://blackcannon.org/gallery/Gretchen

      and I have goofoff form study pictures of it here
      http://blackcannon.org/gallery/project-shots

      That being said, so far I've replaced heater blower motor, the air
      intake, replaced all the lightbulbs and fuses in the car, replaced all
      the headlights and fog lights, replaced one fried relay, and I've
      dropped a rather pricy ($250!) Bavarian Autosport Short Shift Kit into
      her as the shifting linkage was going out (2nd and 4th were getting
      rather difficult to find) and I am a *ahem* demanding driver.

      I've had all the fluids replaced, the tires rotated - the cold
      start/idle cleaned up a bit, the sparkplugs replaced and by the end of
      today I hope to have those ricaro racing seats installed and the power
      antenna replaced.

      The engine and tranny are strong. Car has approx 350,000 miles on her
      though the SI board appears to have conked out at 318,000 so nothing
      on the left side of the instrument cluster is working at present. The
      drivers seat is worn to the springs. I'm in the process of right now
      purchasing a limited slip differential out of another 528e - I'm just
      waiting to hear back on what the gearing on it is. Guy swears it came
      out of another 528e but the numbers on it are S2 93 1711 apparently.
      I want to see what I have in mine presently and confirm that those are
      the right numbers. If I'm reading those numbers correctly, then its
      geared WAY too tall and I'm going to walk from it. If its merely
      mislabled, well heck... =)

      The game plan was not to even touch the engine/tranny for another 12
      to 18 months. The Gameplan was to work on everything else, starting
      with the suspension and brakes and eventually wheels - and THEN doing
      engine/tranny stuff, and then doing aesthetics like body and paint.

      Thing is, my mechanic has offered to give me $200 and do all the work
      salvaging and installing all the salvagable components from that 535i
      over into my 528e in return for the engine, tranny, and computers.
      But the fact is, I kinda like the idea of having that m535i motor
      pulled, rebuilt and dropped into my little 528 so I've held off. I
      don't know much about that motor but I understand its the predecessor
      to the M5 engine and in comparison to my present baby 6... is just a
      monster. I'm also told that there may be a chance that its a dual
      overhead cam motor. Thing is I just don't know.

      I'm assuming somewhere on the engine there is a model number. Do you
      know where it may be so I can start doing my homework on it?

      Thanks
      Scott Gamble
      1983 528e

      --- In bmwe28@..., david patterson <benznut450@y...>
      wrote:
      > Hello and welcome Scott,
      >
      > What mods have you done to the 528e ? Lets start here!! And yes,you
      can drop the M535i
      > powerplant in . Score at $300 !
      >
      > David
      >
      > elephantjuice54 <elephantjuice54@y...> wrote:
      > Hey all - newguy.
      >
      > I've got a 83 528e. Am told this is one of the slowest powerless
      > engines they ever made, shooting for fuel economy over all else.
      This
      > is good news to me because it still feels rather quick and snappy
      and
      > the idea that it does nothing but get more powerful, well gee whiz.
      > think its pretty cool. This car is in rather good shape, no rust,
      > almost no gremlins, not been wrecked, practically everything works
      and
      > works well.
      >
      > Now if I were to ask my mechanic who doesn't like 528e's at all,
      he'd
      > tell me that I'm stuck where I'm at, I can never upgrade this
      > powerplant - nothing else will work in there. But theres alot of
      > conflicting evidence to that claim it would seem, so thought I'd
      ask.

      > I recently picked up a m535i for three bills that still runs and
      > drives but theres so much wrong with her it'll never be worth trying
      > to fix - she's a running parts car is all right now. Theres
      gremlins
      > in the electrical, the frame and body is rusted out and rather beat
      > up. And yet for all that, theres quite a bit salvageable on her.
      > Ricaro racing seats for one, engine and tranny and computers for
      > two... 16 inch wheels (not great but functional) - bumpers are in
      > good shape (though not euro) - lots and lots of miscelaneous stuff.
      >
      > So I guess at the heart of things my quesiton is - am I stuck with
      the
      > 528e powerplant? Part 2 of this question is, is there a snowballs
      > chance in hell of dropping this powerplant into my 528e? Part 3,
      am I
      > a dumbass for even wanting to?
      >
      > Thanks all for your input. Excuse while I ask alot of questions in
      > the beginning. Just trying to get my bearings.
      >
      > Scott Gamble
      > 1983 528e

      > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      Service.