3614Re: will an m535i powerplant go into a 528e?

  • Scott Gamble
    May 19, 2005
      Thank you for your detailed response Bob

      Thats excellent news. Guess I'll have to find a mechanic whos less
      interested in acquiring this motor from me than they are in installing
      it. My next question was going to be how to find out for certain
      which motor I've got but I just did and you are correct. It would
      appear this is an American 535i. Which is still nothing to balk at IMO,

      http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi
      http://www.analogx.com/cgi-bin/cgivin.exe?Mode=Decode&VIN=wbadc740xf0650696&Submit=Decode
      http://www.angelfire.com/ca/TORONTO/VIN/bmw.html

      but it was kinda fun to hope there for a few minutes...

      So, that being said I guess this changes my gameplan a bit. Again I
      figure I've 12 to 18 months to bring this engine to fruition so I can
      concentrate on the suspension and brakes and whatnot. But I guess the
      plan now is to go ahead and have the engine and tranny pulled and
      rebuilt (over the next 12 months) with high quality components. Might
      as well while I've got them out and have time to get the work done.
      Again this is hobby stuff and not time critical.

      Do you have any performance or component suggestions that I might take
      into consideration when having the gearbox and motor rebuilt? Quality
      components only qualify as an investment if I don't have to go back in
      and replace them in 5 years, and to be blunt, I'm a rather demanding
      driver. I'm conciencious, but I'm demanding. So a balance between an
      increase in performance and durability is what I'm really in the
      market for.

      Last thing. Turbos. I know nothing about them. Can you recommend
      some links to read so I can learn about the pros and cons? I've
      always been interested but don't know anything about them. I don't
      know if I'm interested in anything like that here, but I am curious as
      to what it is and why people seem to like it.

      Thanks again
      Scott Gamble

      --- In bmwe28@..., "Bob Sutterfield" <bob@s...> wrote:
      > Your 528e has a M20B27 engine. M20 means it's the "baby six", B27
      means it displaces 2.7 liters. It's built for economy and low-end
      torque, not high revving. Your M535i(*) has a M30B34 engine. M30
      means it's the "big six" block, B34 means 3.4 liters. Both M20 and
      M30 have a steel block and aluminum head with 12 valves and a single
      overhead cam. The M20 has a rubber timing belt that should be
      replaced every 40-50K miles or 4 years, whichever comes first. The
      M30 has a timing chain that's normally good for the life of the engine.

      > *If it has US bumpers it's almost certainly a US 535i or 535iS,
      perhaps with a "///M" badge stuck on the trunk. Some M535i cars had a
      10:1 compression engine with more horsepower, and some had the same
      8.5:1 engine as in the US 535i/S.

      > You can transplant a M30 engine into the space formerly occupied by
      a M20. Besides the usual stuff like mount locations and engine
      management electronics, you'll also need to pay attention to the brake
      boosters. The 528e's brake booster runs off manifold vacuum, and the
      535i's brake booster runs off the power steering hydraulic system.
      Since you have the M30 engine already effectively for free, the
      transplant cost is entirely labor. Normally when someone wants to
      swap engines into a 528e, the usual recommendation is to sell the 528e
      to someone who wants it for what it already is, and buy a 535i to
      replace it.

      > Your 528e interchanges parts with all other E28s. That means you
      can upgrade its suspension and brakes and wheels however you want.
      The cheap bang-for-the-buck acceleration improvements are a Conforti
      engine chip from <http://turnermotorsport.com> and a 3.25:1
      limited-slip differential from a 535i. So just take the diff out of
      your M30 car and it will bolt right into your M20 car.

      > You can learn a lot about E28s here:
      > http://m535i.org
      > http://mye28.com/newforum
      > --
      > Bob Sutterfield
      > '88 E28 535iS lachssilber-met
      > '91 E30 318iS alpinweiß
      > '83 E21 320i opalgrün-met (RIP, parting out)
      > '93 T4 EV MV Weekender Arktisches Weiß
      > BMWCCA #169277 GGC/RMC
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic