3629Re: [bmw e28] changing starter on a 1988 535I

  • Matt Meade
    May 22, 2005
      You have to remove the coolent overflow tank and all of the coolant hoses going back into the firewall/heater core area. This will allow access to the bottom bolt. I had to do this about three months ago. I thought I could be cool and do it without removing all that stuff, but in the end the Bentley manual was correct. It was easier after that.
      Matt
      Ashland, OR
      85 Dinan 535i

      newellsb <newellsb@...> wrote:
      Hey everyone

      I am trying to change my starter on my 1988 535i and am having a
      really hard time getting the bottom bolt. I am tying to figure out
      if there is any trick to get to this bolt? I got the top 2 with a
      box wrench but the bottom doesnt really have enough room to use a
      wrench and I can not seem to get my socket on the bolt because of
      the way it sits up against the starter housing. any help would be
      great.

      Scott