3677What should I do?

  • garygeorge3
    Jun 9, 2005
      Hi guys,

      I live in the UK and own a 528i auto from '84. She is a good car that I enjoy driving, with
      119k miles under her wheels, however in my own bit of stupidity I over- reved the engine
      momentarily in first gear hold.

      The car now idles lumpy and pulls away sounding rough, under load she is ok I think!

      The car after a compression test is down to only about 30% power on No:1 cylinder, and
      my mechanic suspects a valve related problem requiring the head to be removed and all
      the associated costs with this. I have been offered a good working head from a scrap car,
      with a reported 102k miles, that is ready to go on after skimming for 200 pounds sterling
      [$370] he assures me he has heard the engine running and it sounds strong.

      Previous to this mishap my car ran fine with only a little camshaft noise, my question is,
      do continue with my own head, fit the replacement as this may be cheaper, or go for a
      complete rebuilt head?

      I really like these old square riggers but their near worthless value here in the uk makes
      me wonder whether you carry on spending cash or just walk away?

      Awaiting any suggestions and thanks for reading this,

      Gary.
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic