3821Re: [bmw e28] engine stalls suddenly but turn the key off and on will run again

  • chris insalaco
    Aug 26, 2005
      Is your ignition switch okay? The get sloppy and contact can be broken by a bump or big cornering loads. Let it idle in the driveway and tap/hit the steering column with your hand. Try all directions, steering wheel to. I have removed the lower column cover and grabbed the wires at the switch, pushing and pulling gently. Gently, you're just looking for movement. An old switch like my 630csi will fall apart if you pull too hard. Also use a circular motion and listen for engine hiccups or the more obvious stall. Tap on the relays in and around your fuse box, a friend used this with great success for the main and fuel pump relays. Fuel one is under rear seat on my cars.
      Viel Gluck, chris

      Kaz Zauver <kaz@...> wrote:
      I have a 84 533i.
      When it had a problem shifting reverse and I forced ma‚Žtimes to engage
      then suddenly engine stopped. After that engine didn't start up for a
      few hours but without doing anything except trying to turn the starter
      many times, it started again.
      Since then engine stalls intermitted when I am driving especially hard
      acceleration and hard cornering but while car is still rolling I
      switched off and on the ignition key then engine runs fine again.
      It is inconsistent and I can not find a cause. I check relays at the
      fuse box.
      One time when I was driving and temperature gage went off, I hit the
      dashboard several times and engine stalled once.
      If anyone has an idea please let me know.