3906Re: [bmw e28] Brake warning light? Brake accumulator, Master Cylinder

  • Gil Thereault
    Oct 7, 2005
      If you have not bled the brakes in the past couple of years, this must be done. I had a to replace the brake accumulator two times in the past 5 years (Pedal feels spongy, brake light will come on for a moment and go out) and two years ago the master cylinder needed to be replaced. Depending your symptoms, it could be anyone of these. Get a Bentley's manual, I did it in my driveway in a couple of hours +/- with the learning curve.

      garygeorge3 <garygeorge3@...> wrote: Hi guys,

      I have an '84 528i, recently the brake warning light has appeared. It's the symbol next to
      the park/handbrake warning light.
      According to the owners manual it suggests a problem with the split circuit system,
      hinting at a malfunction with either the braking or power steering systems.
      When driving after a few miles the light appears, if you turn the steering wheel or brake, it
      disappears, basically it is only on when driven in a straight line not braking.
      When I brake the pedal travels the first inch, nothing happens then all the brakes suddenly
      bite! this is a little disconcerting, as I fear death is never far away!
      Other than suggesting I drive in a straight line and not brake! Can anyone point me in the
      direction to start looking?

      Many thanks for reading this, Gary