      From: bmwe28@... [mailto:bmwe28@...] On Behalf
      Of garygeorge3
      Sent: Friday, October 07, 2005 11:41 AM
      To: bmwe28@...
      Subject: [bmw e28] Brake warning light?

      Hi guys,

      I have an '84 528i, recently the brake warning light has appeared. It's the
      symbol next to
      the park/handbrake warning light.
      According to the owners manual it suggests a problem with the split circuit
      system,
      hinting at a malfunction with either the braking or power steering systems.
      When driving after a few miles the light appears, if you turn the steering
      wheel or brake, it
      disappears, basically it is only on when driven in a straight line not
      braking.
      When I brake the pedal travels the first inch, nothing happens then all the
      brakes suddenly
      bite! this is a little disconcerting, as I fear death is never far away!
      Other than suggesting I drive in a straight line and not brake! Can anyone
      point me in the
      direction to start looking?

      Many thanks for reading this, Gary

      _____