3951Re: Brake Accumulator

  • Robert Allan
    Oct 31, 2005
      yeah and also before you start touching anything, with the engine
      turned off pump the brake pedal 20 times to bleed the hydraulic
      pressure out of the regulator so you won't have as much shite
      leaking out when you remove the fittings (i forgot to do that and it
      was a crimson coloured dextron bloodbath on that side of the bonnet )

      --- In bmwe28@..., Gil Thereault <giln1oiw2001@y...>
      wrote:
      > Additional:
      >
      > While the PS Reservoir is empty, there is filter (donut shape)
      at the very bottom under a metal plate. Inexpensive part $10-12,
      this will save you much headaches in the future i.e groaning,
      whining issues that will arise in time.

      > Robert's description is accurate and should take a first timer a
      couple of hours to complete.

      > Robert Allan <rebuttal.allan@g...> wrote:
      > hello,
      >
      > Actually i just replaced mine a couple of months ago first thing
      you
      > want to do is get a big seringe or similar pump device and get all
      > the hydraulic oil out of the power steering reservior (you will
      have
      > to pull the circlip off the top of the bolt in the centre and
      remove
      > the screen), then you need a set of flare wrenches to remove all
      the
      > fittings from the regulator (the black thing that the brake bomb
      is
      > screwed into) now removing the fittings is probably going to be
      the
      > most difficult part of the job cos they may be pretty stiff and
      the
      > regulator tends to move around a bit since its mounting bracket is
      > bit flimsy.
      > anyway once you get the fittings off (i think there are 4 or 5) un
      > bolt the regulator and bomb from the mounting bracket, put the
      > regulator in the jaws of a vice now you unscrew the bomb, i used a
      2
      > foot stillson wrench (aka monkey wrench) to get it off i tried
      about
      > 100 times with a band oil filter wrench but no joy.
      > anyway once you get that off its time to put the o-ring on the new
      > bomb(accumulator) and screw the new one into the regulator, then
      put
      > your fittings back on the regulator and bolt the regulator back
      into
      > its bracket. Now you have to put some dextron in the powersteering
      > reservior and raise the front wheels, turn the wheel a few times
      > pumping the brake as you go until you don't see anymore bubbles in
      > power steering reservior, then lower the car and do the same thing
      > again. and DON'T put more power steering fluid than 1 cm below the
      > top of the reservior.
      >
      > hope this helps
      >

      > --- In bmwe28@..., Frances Camara <babybima@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > Hay,
      > > sorry can't help you with this but goodkuck with it.
      > > takecare
      > > chao
      > >
      > > garygeorge3 <garygeorge3@y...> wrote:
      > > Hi guys,
      > > Earlier this month I posted a question regarding the brake
      warning
      > light on my e28. The
      > > advice was to replace the brake accumulator, I have managed to
      > track one down in the
      > > UK....not easy!
      > > My question is this, has anyone changed one of these and if so,
      > can you advise me how to
      > > please?
      > > If any guys in the UK are interested I can highly recommend KMS,
> [...]
      Service.