4060Re: Can't reset the service indicator

  • goldsoul2003
    Dec 14, 2005
      Hi Guys,

      Cheers for all your help. I have solved the problem! It wasn't
      directly the service board or the speedo but the connection pins
      joining the two together. I stripped the whole instrument cluster
      down and used electrical contact grease between each of the pins on
      the 3 boards and also the ribbon connectors to the display & hey
      presto! it works again. I did a continuity test on another service
      display & found i had 2 scrape at the contacts to get a good circuit.
      All it needed was a bit or help with the electrical cunductance twixt
      the speedo & service board. been in a week & its fine. I knew the
      batteries were fine. Also I've read somewhere that the speedo can
      read fast by 10% + an extra 2.5% in some cases to over compensate for
      inaccurate speedo readings. I think this explains the extra mileage.

      Thanx again for your help.

      --- In bmwe28@..., "Andrew W. Hill" <jessicat@j...>
      wrote:
      > >I own a 1985 uk spec e28 520i & am having trouble resetting the
      > >service
      > >indicator. Every time i reset it, it flicks back to inspection but
      > >with
      > >all the led's off. Also i think the speedos going fast as it says
      > >i've
      > >done 12,500 miles in 9 months & that is far more that i travel. I
      > >have
      > >read somewhere that the speedo could be at fault running out of
      sync
      > >&
      > >its confusing the service indicator causing it 2 reset? i've tried
      > >another service board n its doing exactly the same thing as i
      thought
      > >it might have been the batteries. Could it be the speedo? any help
      > >would be appreciated.
      >
      > I'm not an expert, but I think the unresettable service indicator
      is an indication of the batteries running low. I suspected my speedo
      was off as well based on my 0-60 times which seemed atrociously
      fast. Where I am there are some marked out sections (usually 3
      miles) that you can use to test your speedo.

      > Andrew

      > Find the LOWEST PRICES on books at http://www.campusi.com !
      > Check your SchoolEmail at http://www.campusi.com/email
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic