4089Re: [bmw e28] Clunky rear end.

  • Gil Thereault
    Dec 30, 2005
      I had the same exact sound, It was the center bearing on the drive shaft. The rubber deteriorates causing the driveshaft to bump on the undercarriage when starting off. Yes it sounds weird that the sound comes from the passenger rear.

      I have put in two center bearings in the past 6 years. If you never done one yourself before, there is a learning curve. You need lots a extra time, nice weather if working outside, a machine shop to have the bearing pressed off then the new one pressed on.

      Gil
      86 535i 187k

      Angel Rodriguez <hm_racing_pr@...> wrote:
      Hello to all, my e28 is making a very nasty clunk, especially on the
      passenger's side. It is noticeable most when pulling out hard in
      first, or every time the gas pedal is lifted of and on. It fells like
      the whole rear differential is going to snap off.

      I already changed the boomerang shaped links on both sides.