4117Re: [bmw e28] Digest Number 976

  • Pat Hines
    Jan 19, 2006
      You really want a 1988, if you're in the US, or
      the last year in europe which was 1987. While
      the 533i is OK, it's impossible to chip the ECU,
      and there are a couple other reasons it's less
      desireable. The 5-speed manual is much more
      desireable than the auto tranny. It's just more
      sporting, and the auto unit is much more fragile.
      The engines in e28's are pretty robust, the most
      fragile component is the cylinder head which
      warps easily if the cooling system isn't
      maintained up to near perfect standards. Taht
      applies to all years.