4136Re: [bmw e28] Power problems with 1985 (C Reg) 520i

  • goldsoul2003
    Jan 31, 2006
      Ok my cars working properly again.

      The vacuum advance on the distributor had siezed but also the pulse
      transmitter inside the distributor (that the vacuum advance connects
      onto) had also siezed! I fitted new ones & sucked on the small pipe &
      you could see the pulse transmitter rotating & then spring back in2
      place when the vacuum stopped (as it should). The car was then
      running really lumpy. I then realised that there was a missing earth
      cable from the side of the distributor (theres a male spade terminal
      on the distributor body facing the air filter). So i hooked up a wire
      and earthed it under the diagnostic connector on the main engine
      earth point n hey presto! I got my power back! All I need to do now
      is adjust the timing slightly & she'll be back 2 normal.

      --- In bmwe28@..., goldsoul2003 <no_reply@y...> wrote:

      > I've got exactly the same problem as you. 1985 "c" reg 520i n i
      can't
      > get over 70mph. Just suddenly happened whilst driving. Feels like
      i'm
      > only running on 3 cylinders instead of 6 even tho it idles fine at
      > running temperature.
      >
      > I've done a vacuum check on the inlet manifold & I have found that
      > have got very little vacuum working through the inlet manifold
      > itself. So the cars working with normal fuel levels but with very
      > little air. Therefore using a very rich mixture & flooding the
      > engine. Sounds like I have a split air pipe somewhere around the
      > throttle housing.
      >
      > I'll let you know what my fault was when its sorted.
      >
      > > >To: bmwe28@...
      > > >Subject: [bmw e28] Power problems with 1985 (C Reg) 520i
      > > >Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 22:12:38 -0000
      > > >
      > > >Hi, I'm hoping some of you may have some suggestions. My 1985 (C
      > reg)
      > > >520i will no longer go above 2500 rpm in any gear or when revved
      > > >stationary - above this it 'stutters' and all loses power. I
      have
      > had
      > > >a diagnostic done on the ECU but am told all is well. It has been
      > > >suggested that one of the sensors has failed and the ECU has
      > > >automatically entered mid range figures for its output and gone
      > into
      > > >'LOS' mode to prevent the engine from being damaged - however, I
      > > >cannot find anything about this in any of the manuals available
      > me.
      > > >The ECU is the early L-Jetronic and I'm also told that the
      number
      > of
      > > >sensors is limited and anyway, the diagnostics do not extend to
      the
      > > >sensors as with later models.
      > > >
      > > >Any suggestions welcome from those more experienced with these
      > > >wonderful but frustrating beats,I posted before on 23 Nov 05
      > (message
      > > >4015) but no responses ( probably you're all as confused as I
      am )
      > > >.... it's getting awfully embarrassing only being able to do
      65mph
      > on
      > > >the motorway and having zilch acceleration. Even push-bikes beat
      me
      > > >away from traffic lights!
      > > >
      > > >Thanks in advance
      > > >Graham

      > > Don't just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search!
      > > http://search.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200636ave/direct/01/

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic