4138RE: [bmw e28] Start up probelms

  • Blake Nancarrow
    Jan 31, 2006
      On Tuesday 31 January 2006 1:03 PM, Alan Myler - at
      home wrote:
      > When I tried to start it yesterday (it's been
      sitting unused for a week at
      > approx' zero degrees centigrade) it fires up ok but
      the battery light
      > stays on and the engine is struggling to stay going.

      Could be the alternator is going or gone...
      Or simply the brushes inside the alternator are worn.
      It's hard to get the brushes out without removing the
      whole unit.

      I had this problem in November. I put in a spare
      alternator. That got me home. But it seized so I put
      another spare in. While I had all three sitting on the
      table, I removed the brushes to pick the best ones.

      regards,
      Blake