4145Re: [bmw e28] unable to keep headlights on low beam 528e

  • Agent Midnight
    Feb 4, 2006
      Yes! (GRIN, like its a good thing)
      I had that problem a couple of years ago and it happen for a long time
      before that on my 1986 528e but I kept puting off fixing it and I forced teh
      direction switch one way or the other to make it work. Over time that
      caused it to snap off all together and I just had to replace the
      lever/switch.

      Its most likly just the "turn signal" switch that controls the high beam.
      Over many years it gets warn from doing the same thing over and over.
      Replace it with a *good* used one. A good one will be a bit stiff and make
      a nice clicking sound when worked. That means the parts are working
      properly. The new ones are much more costly and do the same thing as a good
      used one. check out " http://www.theeurodepot.com ". Since the item is
      small it will fit in a small box for less pricy shiping.

      The installation is simple. One part you do need is a new locking nut for
      the steering wheel that has to be taken off to install the lever
      properly.( The bolt may take a LOT of controled force to remove with the
      proper sockets).

      Good luck,
      -Dana

      P.s. I was geting afraid when I had the problem that the car would start
      "high-beaming" a police officer on the expressway. " I swear officer it was
      the car, not me..."(GRIN).