4155Re: [bmw e28] front end failure mystery

  • Guy DiCesare
    Feb 9, 2006
      Hi everyone. I'd like to run a scenario by you and get
      your input as to the probable cause. I had a bad
      thrust arm bushing (really loose). I was told by a
      mechanic that I could drive with it until he could fix
      it in a few weeks. Several days later(at very low
      speed) There was a TREMENDOUS front end noise. Upon
      inspecting the car, I noticed that I could SINK the
      drivers side bumper (could actually HEAR the shock
      deflate) while pushing down. I did this 3 times (I
      pulled it back up, pushed back down) and after 3
      tries, I got the feeling of the spring seating itself
      again (I.E it felt normal when pushing on the bumper.
      The mechanic would not tell me what happened. He
      replaced the thrust arm on BOTH sides and put in new
      Bilsteins because (and I quote) "when you remove the
      factory installed struts you have to destroy them to
      get them off". I smell a rat, but I'd like to know
      what your thoughts are. I think that the thrust arm
      snapped and knocked the spring off. I also think it's
      possible to remove factory installed struts without
      destroying them. Your thoughts would be appreciated.
      Thanks. Guy
      --- Gunnar Reynisson <gunnar@...> wrote:

      > --- In bmwe28@..., "Arny K."
      > <arny@p...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Gunnar Reynisson wrote:
      > >
      > > > I have a early M30B35 and a late M30B35 engines
      > > >
      > > > I know a 2.8 has a 272deg cam, so I guess thats
      > cheap and good, but
      > > > does it work on both engines?
      > >
      > > If you mean the M30B28 engine for camshaft, I
      > don't think it's possible.
      > > Since 3.5 (late at least) was always Motronic and
      > 2.8 was always
      > > L(E)-Jetronic, their camshafts cannot be
      > interchanged beacuse of
      > > different styles of distributors. However, if you
      > mean the M20B27 2.7
      > > engine (but that's M20 engine, eh...), or your
      > early 3.5 by some chance
      > > uses L-Jetronic (can't remember if 3.5 ever used
      > L-Jet), then it could
      > > be possible.
      > >
      > > Hope this helps,
      > > Arny
      > >

      > I was under the impression that 2.8�s had Motronic
      > 1.0 like the
      > earlier (e23 and E24) M30�s,
      >
      > But I don�t care, I need a Motronic 1.3 harness
      and