4241Re: [bmw e28] front end failure mystery

  • carlosmciver
    Mar 9, 2006
      --- In bmwe28@..., Guy DiCesare <guydicesare2000@y...>
      wrote:

      > Hi everyone. I'd like to run a scenario by you and get
      > your input as to the probable cause. I had a bad
      > thrust arm bushing (really loose). I was told by a
      > mechanic that I could drive with it until he could fix
      > it in a few weeks. Several days later(at very low
      > speed) There was a TREMENDOUS front end noise. Upon
      > inspecting the car, I noticed that I could SINK the
      > drivers side bumper (could actually HEAR the shock
      > deflate) while pushing down. I did this 3 times (I
      > pulled it back up, pushed back down) and after 3
      > tries, I got the feeling of the spring seating itself
      > again (I.E it felt normal when pushing on the bumper.
      > The mechanic would not tell me what happened. He
      > replaced the thrust arm on BOTH sides and put in new
      > Bilsteins because (and I quote) "when you remove the
      > factory installed struts you have to destroy them to
      > get them off". I smell a rat, but I'd like to know
      > what your thoughts are. I think that the thrust arm
      > snapped and knocked the spring off. I also think it's
      > possible to remove factory installed struts without
      > destroying them. Your thoughts would be appreciated.
      > Thanks. Guy
      > --- Gunnar Reynisson <gunnar@g...> wrote:
      >
      > > --- In bmwe28@..., "Arny K."
      > > <arny@p...> wrote:

      > > cheap and good, but
      > > >
      > > > If you mean the M30B28 engine for camshaft, I
      > > don't think it's possible.
      > > > Since 3.5 (late at least) was always Motronic and
      > > 2.8 was always
      > > > L(E)-Jetronic, their camshafts cannot be
      > > interchanged beacuse of
      > > > different styles of distributors. However, if you
      > > mean the M20B27 2.7
      > > > engine (but that's M20 engine, eh...), or your
      > > early 3.5 by some chance
      > > > uses L-Jetronic (can't remember if 3.5 ever used
      > > L-Jet), then it could
      > > > be possible.
      > > >
      > > > Hope this helps,
      > > > Arny
      > > >

      > > I was under the impression that 2.8�s had Motronic
      > > 1.0 like the
      > > earlier (e23 and E24) M30�s,
      > >
      > > But I don�t care, I need a Motronic 1.3 harness
      > and
      > > some parts to
      > > convert the engine to M1.3 and run a M10 trans,
      > > stronger clutch and pressure plate is needed.
      > >
      > > This is destined into my E30.
      > >
      > > Thanks.
      > >
      > > Guy i am a mechanic and i admit that every job is a learning
      experience. so at times before i destroy something on my personal
      auto, i would take a trip to a local salvage yard and practice on a
      similar car and part. i have removed the struts with minimal damage
      to the practice auto and only because i did not have the correct
      tools with me. i have even removed and replaced my own with no
      problem, so it is possible to removed without destroying.

      > http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic