4282Re: [bmw e28] question about differential

  • Matt Meade
    Mar 26, 2006
      As I understand it, all of the "is" 535's have LSD (limited slip differential). In terms of what it is...most people recognize it by the trade name of posi-traction. It makes both of the rear wheels turn together, giving you better traction. When looking at a 2.93 or 4.10 rear end, you are talking about the gear ratios. The higher the number (i.e. 4.10) rear end the lower the gearing. You will get better accelleration off the line with a lower gear ratio, but worse fuel economy and typically top end performance will suffer.
      Matt Meade
      85 535i (Dinan)

      rabalagot <rabalagot@...> wrote:
      Hi all, i wanted some 101 about the differential, slip differential,
      limited slip differential. I currently have an e28 535is 1988, and i
      was curious, if anyone knew what I had. I also wanted explanations how
      it works. I've seen on ebay. 2.93, 4.10 etc... But I was interested in
      knowning what it's all about. What would increase my performance on
      my car or if it does. Thanks!