4342hard brake pedal w/engaged brakes

  • Samuel Cochran
    Apr 16, 2006
      Hello all,
      My '88 535is has a braking problem when in heavy stop and go traffic (the
      worst time for it). The brake pedal will get really hard about an inch or so
      into braking, the pedal will then only engage from that position down. Also,
      when this happens the brakes themselves are engaged after I have stop
      putting pressure on the pedal. At first, they aren't that engaged but as
      they stay engaged they really heat up and then engage even more. To the
      point that I can barely get over 20mph... (when this started to happen, I
      was in a traffic filled tunnel, and had to get out before I could pull over
      )

      I am having my mechanic take a look at it, as I don't have the time to
      tinker at the moment.
      Has anyone else had a similar problem? If so, what was the culprit? It
      would help to have a starting point, if this is a common problem.

      Thank you for what help you can give,
      Sam C.
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic