4486RE: [bmw e28] Re: 533i Overheating problems

  • Blake Nancarrow
    Jun 19, 2006
      On Monday 19 June 2006 8:36 AM, bimmernutjob wrote:
      > I'm not quite sure what that is.....but I will try
      to figure it out..thanks harvey,

      I think he's talking about the "clutch fan" on the
      motor. The centre of the engine fan is a viscous
      coupling. It is designed to "lock" when heated up and
      "unlock" when cool.

      They tend to seize with age in which case it runs
      continuously. You can tell because the car sounds
      like a jet! In that situation though, I would think
      the engine would not get overly hot since the fan is
      running 100% of the time.

      I suppose if the viscous coupling does the opposite,
      fails to spin the fan ever, then that would contribute
      to overheating.

      So, if you say you have a parts car, try swapping the
      main engine fan (and its coupling).

      regards
      Blake
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic