4491Re: 533i Overheating problems

  • bimmernutjob
    Jun 19, 2006
      coupling on clutch fan, yes that makes sense. No, there is no problems with the clutch
      fan assembly...... I'm leaning towards new coolant, radiator life, etc....short of replacing
      radiator, I plan to install either the 71, or 75 degree thermostat...it's a fix until the real
      culprit is revealed. much thanks "otto"

      --- In bmwe28@..., Blake Nancarrow <blaken@c...> wrote:

      > On Monday 19 June 2006 8:36 AM, bimmernutjob wrote:
      > > I'm not quite sure what that is.....but I will try
      > to figure it out..thanks harvey,
      >
      > I think he's talking about the "clutch fan" on the
      > motor. The centre of the engine fan is a viscous
      > coupling. It is designed to "lock" when heated up and
      > "unlock" when cool.
      >
      > They tend to seize with age in which case it runs
      > continuously. You can tell because the car sounds
      > like a jet! In that situation though, I would think
      > the engine would not get overly hot since the fan is
      > running 100% of the time.
      >
      > I suppose if the viscous coupling does the opposite,
      > fails to spin the fan ever, then that would contribute
      > to overheating.
      >
      > So, if you say you have a parts car, try swapping the
      > main engine fan (and its coupling).
      >
      > regards
      > Blake

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic