4555RE: [bmw e28] SPRINGS AND SHOCKS

  • Allan Balagot
    Jul 6, 2006
      the touring shocks only had one perch. It's funny because I took a clip from the old bilstein shock that i had and it still broke down after i replaced it on the way home. 100 bucks down the drain all for nothing. Is it smart to mix springs? say, for my front use the lowered sport springs and for the rear my original stock springs?. or It is possible to use the new bilstein sport shocks I have with my stock springs? another thing is what did you mean by welding your oil pan up?
      thanks for your input

      doug dykaar <ddykaar@...> wrote: Check the shock height. They may be shorter. I seem to recall the Bilstein
      sport setup is. I had my oil pan welded up once too. The rear shocks have
      several perches, and I believe mine are on the top perch. The clip is
      replaceable. I've seen them fail at the track. Probably a good idea to keep
      a spare. ping the list if you find some cheap.

      I have the H&R spring set and the rear is very soft and I can still break
      the end loose in tight corners under power. Guess that's why its called
      "driving" and not steering.

      Regards,

      doug

      Hi guys i had a question for all.
      I recently broke the clip of the bilstein shock that i have on my
      right rear side. apparently i've been having trouble with these types
      of shocks. I currently have lowered sport vogtland springs and TOURING
      bilstein struts and shocks. I found out lowering your car especially
      in NY is a major risk factor. I already cracked my oil pan and had it
      replaced, now it's my rear right shock. I am buying the bilstein
      sport shocks but, i was wondering will my car still be stiffer and
      good on turns and corners if i put my original springs along with the
      bilstein sport shocks? I would keep the sport SPRINGS on but, driving
      in the city kind of sucks with all those potholes and bumps. Will it
      lessen my hard cornering performance?. Please let me know. I'm still
      waiting on the shocks to come so I have time and advice to decide on
      what I should do. Basically, I don't want to lose my turning
      stiffness nor, crack another oil pan. What do you think? Thanks much
      for your help.