4737Re: [bmw e28] Digest Number 1150 leaking fluid at head in back

  • Larry R.
    Oct 13, 2006
      Radiator with phosphates in the mix, which is what
      most green cheap stuff has, will eat the aluminum head
      over time. this is a MAJOR failure factor for BMW's,
      it eats the radiator and heater core.

      At 300k miles, it most likely ate through the block
      enough to leak.

      IF you take the head off, you can apply a good
      silicone sealant to the head and fill the area. I did
      this job on a 1987 Oldsmobile Cutlass back in the late
      90's at 70K miles for the same reason.

      PITA but it will cure the problem.

      have fun.