4838[bmw e28] Brakes lockup, Some possible solutions

  • Gil Thereault
    Nov 21, 2006
      Hello All,

      From my past experience, the high hard brake pedal issue is the brake accumulator. I have replaced mine twice in the past six years. You may have an issue with the regulator ?? from the noise you have described or it could have been due to the high temperature of the brake fluid in the regulator from the overheating of the rotor and caliper. I too have replaced the master cylinder as I also was experiencing the right front caliper locking up. I thought it was from the heat as well. I learned this after needless swapping out a good functional right front caliper. Do these things first (the easy things) then go further to the calipers and/ or the regulator.

      Gil
      86 535i 192k

      John Forbey <jforbey@...> wrote:
      I don't know whether you will work on it yourself, but
      I say if it has'nt been driven in a while the calipers
      may have gotten what I call water spot that make them
      bind. Take the calipers off and they have screws that
      allow you to separate the halves. You can buy kits
      pretty easy, maybe price online dealers to find
      rebuild kits to replace the o-ring seals. There will
      be an expanding rubber cup that seals the piston and
      clasps around with wire clip. Clean the parts well
      and make sure no rust. Use silicon brake fluid to
      lubricate parts, seals before assy. This is just a
      start; but if it has'nt driven in while may be what
      needs to be done.
      John F. Forbey
      jforbey@...

      Sponsored Link