4871Re: rebuilt engine break-in

  • guydicesare2000
    Dec 10, 2006
      The engine needed new seals...front and rear main were leaving small
      drips in the driveway and others were seeping. There was also a very
      minor miss and cylinder number 1 compression was a little low about 95
      lbs. When I heard this mechanic had a 30K engine, and when I compared
      the transplant cost to just having the seals done, i decided to go for
      the newer engine. I have replaced MOST of the parts of this car over 6
      years and it seemed to make sense to continue the restoration with a
      fresh power plant versus new seals on a quarter million mile engine..
      the car ran well enough but a 30 K engine was too good to pass up. I
      don't know how much it has been driven but I suspect less than a
      hundred miles. I haven't driven it yet. A friend picked the car up
      just to get it away from this guy.... (he told me the engine swap
      would take 3 days and he kept my car for 15 weeks...). He did say it
      was "ready" (even though he did a job I didn't order). Hope this
      helps, and thanks for your help with this mess.

      When--- In bmwe28@..., "pld1952" <pld1952@...> wrote:

      > --- In bmwe28@..., Guy DiCesare <guydicesare2000@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Thanks. unfortunately, this guy isn't returning phone
      > > calls or emails for over 2 weeks. A detailed receipt
      > > was supposed to be left in the car but, of course, was
      > > not. Think I'm on my own with the break-in. I'm
      > > currently on an island in Alaska and he's in
      > > California.
      > > --- pld1952 <pld1952@> wrote:
      > >
      > > > --- In bmwe28@..., "guydicesare2000"

      > > > 535is. It was
      > > > the mechanic
      > > > without telling me.
      > > > week. Can anyone tell
      > > > me
      > > > for the moment that
      > > > doubts). Any help would
      > > > >

      > > > Tell them you want a compression and cylinder
      > > > leakage report on this
      > > > rebuild. Also make sure the invoice has a detail
      > > > list of parts (not a
      > > > lump some) If it was a rebuild there should be
      > > > plenty of parts. As far
      > > > as the break in - they should be telling you how
      > > > they want it broke
      > > > in. Also I would take it somewhere else that can be
      > > > trusted and let
      > > > them tell you if it looks like its a rebuild, and
      > > > have them do a
      > > > compression and leakage test.
      > > >
      > > > Good luck

      > > Yahoo! Music Unlimited
      > > Access over 1 million songs.
      > > http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited
      > >

      > I need some more info - what was the problem with the original
      > engine to make you think it needed a rebuild or replacement? How far
      > have you driven it since you picked it up? How is it compared to
      > before the work was done?

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic