4872Re: rebuilt engine break-in

  • bimmernutjob
    Dec 12, 2006
      This sounds shady .... So where are you ? Are you the guy on an Island in alaska ? 3-4
      monthes is not unusual, a complete rebuild is a lot of parts, and the cost ?? Maybe you
      can start from the beginning and explain exactly where, and if is it a legitiame shop ? If it
      was a reputable garage, can you deal with the owner ? Curious about your results,
      waiting ...

      --- In bmwe28@..., "guydicesare2000" <guydicesare2000@...> wrote:

      > The engine needed new seals...front and rear main were leaving small
      > drips in the driveway and others were seeping. There was also a very
      > minor miss and cylinder number 1 compression was a little low about 95
      > lbs. When I heard this mechanic had a 30K engine, and when I compared
      > the transplant cost to just having the seals done, i decided to go for
      > the newer engine. I have replaced MOST of the parts of this car over 6
      > years and it seemed to make sense to continue the restoration with a
      > fresh power plant versus new seals on a quarter million mile engine..
      > the car ran well enough but a 30 K engine was too good to pass up. I
      > don't know how much it has been driven but I suspect less than a
      > hundred miles. I haven't driven it yet. A friend picked the car up
      > just to get it away from this guy.... (he told me the engine swap
      > would take 3 days and he kept my car for 15 weeks...). He did say it
      > was "ready" (even though he did a job I didn't order). Hope this
      > helps, and thanks for your help with this mess.
      >
      > When--- In bmwe28@..., "pld1952" <pld1952@> wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In bmwe28@..., Guy DiCesare <guydicesare2000@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Thanks. unfortunately, this guy isn't returning phone
      > > > calls or emails for over 2 weeks. A detailed receipt
      > > > was supposed to be left in the car but, of course, was
      > > > not. Think I'm on my own with the break-in. I'm
      > > > currently on an island in Alaska and he's in
      > > > California.

      > > > Yahoo! Music Unlimited
      > > > Access over 1 million songs.
      > > > http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited
      > > >

      > > I need some more info - what was the problem with the original
      > > engine to make you think it needed a rebuild or replacement? How far
      > > have you driven it since you picked it up? How is it compared to
      > > before the work was done?

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic