4873Re: [bmw e28] Re: rebuilt engine break-in

  • Guy DiCesare
    Dec 12, 2006
      Yes, I'm the guy on the island. OK..here's how it
      went...I hired this mechanic to installl a 30K engine
      in early August. He told me the engine would take 3
      days to ship and another 3 days for install. Every
      week for 15 weeks I phoned and was told it was going
      to be done by the end of the week. On a friday
      afternoon in November, I was told the 30 K engine was
      being installed as we spoke. On the following Tuesday
      morning I got a call saying my car was ready and that
      the mechanic had decided to rebuild my old engine
      instead. So either he lied on thursday or he'd been
      lying all along. I actually hired a private
      investigator to see if the car was even at the shop
      because I was tired of the runaround. On thursday
      after that, the car wasn't where it was supposed to be
      dropped off. I was then told the car wouldn't start
      and that if I wanted it fixed promptly I would have to
      pay the hourly rate. I flipped and told this guy to
      fix the car by the end of the week or I was going to
      the Bureau of Automotive repair in California. I
      handled the guy with kid gloves up until then because
      his behavior was not exactly rational and I was
      getting the feeling I might not see my car again. 2
      days later I was told it was working and I had a
      friend drive it a mile to a storage unit. A detailed
      receipt was supposed to be left in the car. it wasn't.
      repaeated attempts to secure the receipt and the break
      in instructions haven't been responded to. The shop is
      in South Lake tahoe California and they are licensed.
      Well, that's that. If you have any advice , it sure
      would be appreciated. Phil Davis suggested using Bon
      Ami cleanservia a vacuum line..has anyone tried this?
      Eviddently Cosworth recommends this method but the
      idea of putting abrasive into the vacuum kind of makes
      me nervous. thanks to all .guy
      --- bimmernutjob <bimmernutjob@...> wrote:

      > This sounds shady .... So where are you ? Are you
      > the guy on an Island in alaska ? 3-4
      > monthes is not unusual, a complete rebuild is a lot
      > of parts, and the cost ?? Maybe you
      > can start from the beginning and explain exactly
      > where, and if is it a legitiame shop ? If it
      > was a reputable garage, can you deal with the owner
      > ? Curious about your results,
      > waiting ...
      >

      > --- In bmwe28@..., "guydicesare2000"
      > <guydicesare2000@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > The engine needed new seals...front and rear main
      > were leaving small
      > > drips in the driveway and others were seeping.
      > There was also a very
      > > minor miss and cylinder number 1 compression was a
      > little low about 95
      > > lbs. When I heard this mechanic had a 30K engine,
      > and when I compared
      > > the transplant cost to just having the seals done,
      > i decided to go for
      > > the newer engine. I have replaced MOST of the
      > parts of this car over 6
      > > years and it seemed to make sense to continue the
      > restoration with a
      > > fresh power plant versus new seals on a quarter
      > million mile engine..
      > > the car ran well enough but a 30 K engine was too
      > good to pass up. I
      > > don't know how much it has been driven but I
      > suspect less than a
      > > hundred miles. I haven't driven it yet. A friend
      > picked the car up
      > > just to get it away from this guy.... (he told me
      > the engine swap
      > > would take 3 days and he kept my car for 15
      > weeks...). He did say it
      > > was "ready" (even though he did a job I didn't
      > order). Hope this
      > > helps, and thanks for your help with this mess.
      > >
      > > When--- In bmwe28@..., "pld1952"
      > <pld1952@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > --- In bmwe28@..., Guy DiCesare
      > <guydicesare2000@>

      > returning phone
      > receipt
      > course, was
      > I'm

      > "guydicesare2000"

      > on my 88
      > engine but
      > instead....
      > next
      > assume
      > my

      > cylinder
      > detail
      > be
      > how
      > can be
      > rebuild, and

      > > > I need some more info - what was the problem
      > with the original
      > > > engine to make you think it needed a rebuild or
      > replacement? How far
      > > > have you driven it since you picked it up? How
      > is it compared to
      > > > before the work was done?

      Have a burning question?