4874Re: [bmw e28] Re: rebuilt engine break-in

  • Rick
    Dec 13, 2006
      Hi there, Guy. Firstly, please don't go putting Bon Ami into the engine
      if you want it to last. Usually these 'fixes' are used to bed in a motor
      quickly, but not necessarily done if you want the motor to last.
      If the motor was indeed rebuilt with new pistons and rings and a
      quality re-bore, the running-in procedure should be no different to any
      other new motor.
      Drive it around for 1000odd km doing normal speeds, don't let the
      motor labour in gear or up hills, occasionally give it a rev out through
      the lower (2nd - 4th) gears but don't over rev it. Change the oil after
      1000 and continue with the same but increase the rev range a bit. Don't
      use synthetic oil while running-in (I have seen some new motors still
      not bed-in, after 50,000km because of synthetic oil right from the
      start) I would change the oil and filter twice, or even 3 times for the
      first 5000km, using a relatively cheap mineral oil. Then, when you are
      happy that it is revving well and smooth, change to a good synthetic
      oil, change the filter, and enjoy your car.
      I am in Australia and not really able to help as far as the legal
      stuff goes but if it was me, I wouldn't touch the car until I had sorted
      out whether:
      a) The motor was in fact rebuilt; _and_
      b) Whether the price you paid reflects the work done ie. Did you only
      pay 'second-hand engine' price or 'fully rebuilt engine' price?
      You might be behind the 8-ball as you have already accepted the car as
      it is and you have no proof what you exactly paid them for. Sorry to say
      it sounds like they have done a dodgy with it.
      Good Luck!!

      Guy DiCesare wrote:

      > Yes, I'm the guy on the island. OK..here's how it
      > went...I hired this mechanic to installl a 30K engine
      > in early August. He told me the engine would take 3
      > days to ship and another 3 days for install. Every
      > week for 15 weeks I phoned and was told it was going
      > to be done by the end of the week. On a friday
      > afternoon in November, I was told the 30 K engine was
      > being installed as we spoke. On the following Tuesday
      > morning I got a call saying my car was ready and that
      > the mechanic had decided to rebuild my old engine
      > instead. So either he lied on thursday or he'd been
      > lying all along. I actually hired a private
      > investigator to see if the car was even at the shop
      > because I was tired of the runaround. On thursday
      > after that, the car wasn't where it was supposed to be
      > dropped off. I was then told the car wouldn't start
      > and that if I wanted it fixed promptly I would have to
      > pay the hourly rate. I flipped and told this guy to
      > fix the car by the end of the week or I was going to
      > the Bureau of Automotive repair in California. I
      > handled the guy with kid gloves up until then because
      > his behavior was not exactly rational and I was
      > getting the feeling I might not see my car again. 2
      > days later I was told it was working and I had a
      > friend drive it a mile to a storage unit. A detailed
      > receipt was supposed to be left in the car. it wasn't.
      > repaeated attempts to secure the receipt and the break
      > in instructions haven't been responded to. The shop is
      > in South Lake tahoe California and they are licensed.
      > Well, that's that. If you have any advice , it sure
      > would be appreciated. Phil Davis suggested using Bon
      > Ami cleanservia a vacuum line..has anyone tried this?
      > Eviddently Cosworth recommends this method but the
      > idea of putting abrasive into the vacuum kind of makes
      > me nervous. thanks to all .guy
      > --- bimmernutjob <bimmernutjob@...
      > <mailto:bimmernutjob%40yahoo.co.uk>> wrote:
      >

      > > This sounds shady .... So where are you ? Are you
      > > the guy on an Island in alaska ? 3-4
      > > monthes is not unusual, a complete rebuild is a lot
      > > of parts, and the cost ?? Maybe you
      > > can start from the beginning and explain exactly
      > > where, and if is it a legitiame shop ? If it
      > > was a reputable garage, can you deal with the owner
      > > ? Curious about your results,
      > > waiting ...
      > >

      > > --- In bmwe28@... <mailto:bmwe28%40yahoogroups.co.uk>,
      > "guydicesare2000"
      > > <guydicesare2000@...> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > The engine needed new seals...front and rear main
      > > were leaving small
      > > > drips in the driveway and others were seeping.
      > > There was also a very
      > > > minor miss and cylinder number 1 compression was a
      > > little low about 95
      > > > lbs. When I heard this mechanic had a 30K engine,
      > > and when I compared
      > > > the transplant cost to just having the seals done,
      > > i decided to go for
      > > > the newer engine. I have replaced MOST of the
      > > parts of this car over 6
> [...]
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic