4875Re: rebuilt engine break-in

  • bimmernutjob
    13 Dec 13:17
      -Guy

      Let's start from the beginning:

      1. You are on an alaskan Island, but you shipped your car to the mainland ?
      1a. mechanic is at lake tahoe..?
      2. paid how much ? did you get an estimate ?
      3. have you checked with better bussiness buracray to see if mechanic has complaints ?
      4. what is condition of said vehicle now ? do you owe money to shop ?

      My advice: if you still owe money, wait until repair/agreements are resolved
      if not you can sue in small claims court-(bring doccumentation) in general
      judges do not look favorably to dirtball mechanics

      -- In bmwe28@..., Guy DiCesare <guydicesare2000@...> wrote:

      > Yes, I'm the guy on the island. OK..here's how it
      > went...I hired this mechanic to installl a 30K engine
      > in early August. He told me the engine would take 3
      > days to ship and another 3 days for install. Every
      > week for 15 weeks I phoned and was told it was going
      > to be done by the end of the week. On a friday
      > afternoon in November, I was told the 30 K engine was
      > being installed as we spoke. On the following Tuesday
      > morning I got a call saying my car was ready and that
      > the mechanic had decided to rebuild my old engine
      > instead. So either he lied on thursday or he'd been
      > lying all along. I actually hired a private
      > investigator to see if the car was even at the shop
      > because I was tired of the runaround. On thursday
      > after that, the car wasn't where it was supposed to be
      > dropped off. I was then told the car wouldn't start
      > and that if I wanted it fixed promptly I would have to
      > pay the hourly rate. I flipped and told this guy to
      > fix the car by the end of the week or I was going to
      > the Bureau of Automotive repair in California. I
      > handled the guy with kid gloves up until then because
      > his behavior was not exactly rational and I was
      > getting the feeling I might not see my car again. 2
      > days later I was told it was working and I had a
      > friend drive it a mile to a storage unit. A detailed
      > receipt was supposed to be left in the car. it wasn't.
      > repaeated attempts to secure the receipt and the break
      > in instructions haven't been responded to. The shop is
      > in South Lake tahoe California and they are licensed.
      > Well, that's that. If you have any advice , it sure
      > would be appreciated. Phil Davis suggested using Bon
      > Ami cleanservia a vacuum line..has anyone tried this?
      > Eviddently Cosworth recommends this method but the
      > idea of putting abrasive into the vacuum kind of makes
      > me nervous. thanks to all .guy
      > --- bimmernutjob <bimmernutjob@...> wrote:
      >

      > > This sounds shady .... So where are you ? Are you
      > > the guy on an Island in alaska ? 3-4
      > > monthes is not unusual, a complete rebuild is a lot
      > > of parts, and the cost ?? Maybe you
      > > can start from the beginning and explain exactly
      > > where, and if is it a legitiame shop ? If it
      > > was a reputable garage, can you deal with the owner
      > > ? Curious about your results,
      > > waiting ...
      > >

      > > --- In bmwe28@..., "guydicesare2000"
      > > <guydicesare2000@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > The engine needed new seals...front and rear main
      > > were leaving small
      > > > drips in the driveway and others were seeping.
      > > There was also a very
      > > > minor miss and cylinder number 1 compression was a
      > > little low about 95
      > > > lbs. When I heard this mechanic had a 30K engine,
      > > and when I compared
      > > > the transplant cost to just having the seals done,
      > > i decided to go for
      > > > the newer engine. I have replaced MOST of the
      > > parts of this car over 6
      > > > years and it seemed to make sense to continue the
      > > restoration with a
> [...]
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic