4950Re: ATF pump

  • pld1952
    Jan 20, 2007
      Turns out that running the engine in Park has the same effect as
      running it
      in Neutral. The front clutch pack has no mechanism for
      depressurizing when
      a drive gear is not selected, so revving the engine, or even running
      it,
      will still power the transmission's internal fluid pump, increasing
      the
      pressure within the clutch pack until failure.

      BMW put out a service bulletin on this, recommending that ZF
      transmission
      cars which needed to be idled for whatever reason be shut completely
      off
      for thirty seconds, then restarted in Park or Neutral without EVER
      going
      into a drive gear. So you're all right idleing as long as you don't
      ever put it into drive or reverse.

      I don't know that anyone ever told me which years of cars had the ZF
      transmission and which had the GM unit. I'm sure your service advisor
      would be happy to give you that information.

      Hope this was of help. One of my friends has a 750 that he regularly
      puts
      into neutral at stoplights. He was very surprised when I told him
      about
      this problem. He said that the previous owner had mentioned having
      the
      trnasmission replaced at 70,000 miles because it blew while revving
      in
      neutral. He didn't realize that type of failure was a congenital
      defect,
      not an isolated incident.

      Go here for how it all works
      http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/BMW_docs/transfund1.pdf

      The next step is to check pressure with a autotrans pressure guages

      Phil

      --- In bmwe28@..., Brett Peavey <pv9@...> wrote:

      > correct...and they are.
      > --- pld1952 <pld1952@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Lets start over, With the engine running and warmed
      > > up in park the
      > > fluid level needs to be between the min and max
      > > marks.
      > >
      > > Phil
      > >

      > > --- In bmwe28@..., Brett Peavey
      > > <pv9@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I recently bought the car. and I drained nearly 6
      > > > quarts of tranny fluid out. so there was too much
      > > in
      > > > the tranny so i thought that the pump may be
      > > gunked
      > > > down.

      > > the

      > > the