      From: Blake Nancarrow
      To: bmwe28@...
      Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 15:06
      Subject: [bmw e28] Re: Instrument pack batteries?

      Quoting bmwe28@...:

      > 1. Instrument pack batteries?
      > From: Phil Howard

      > 1. Instrument pack batteries?
      > Posted by: "Phil Howard" ss1turbo@... b23kab
      > Date: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:35 pm
      >
      > Before I jump at something else, could it be the instrument pack batteries?
      > Will they eventually recharge and everything else sort itself out?

      As far as I know, the instrument cluster batteries are NiCd technology. I.e.
      they will wear out.

      When I had my cluster out on time, I desoldered the old batteries, soldered in
      some lead wires, and used my own NiCd batteries in a battery box. This box is
      now an "outrigger" Velcroed to the back of the cluster. I can swap those
      batteries easily with disassembling the cluster.

      With longer wires, you could access the batteries in the foot well.

      Now my "countdown" service indicator LEDs work properly.

      cheers,
      Blake

      84 multi-colour 528e
      84 brown rusty 528e (donor car)
      88 diamond black M3 (hibernating)

      (sent via Computer Ease webmail while at Nexient)

      Virus Database (VPS): 000705-3, 01/23/2007
      Tested on: 1/23/2007 16:21:53