4992dead

  • bnancarrow
    Feb 8, 2007
      Started to leave a friend's house at 11:30pm. I had backed into the
      driveway. Car started fine despite cold. Touched the wiper lever to
      clear the windshield. Started ahead. At the PRECISE moment I was
      going over the curbing between the driveway and road, I quickly
      flicked on the lights. Car completely died! No electrics. No
      lights. No dash indicators. Nothing. Tachometer needle "flutters"
      when I turn the key in the ignition.

      1984 528e.

      Checked all the fuses and relays (with flashlight). Did not see
      anything obvious.

      Brand new battery, about 2 months old new. Checked the connections to
      the battery terminals. Seem fine.

      It's too cold and dark for any more diagnostics right now. Tired and
      frustrated...

      First thing I'm going to check is for good ground from battery
      negative terminal into the chassis.

      Then I think I need to start hunting down shorts.

      But I don't know where to begin.
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic