5027Re: Advice on exhaust

  • Phil Howard
    Mar 19, 2007
      Sami,

      The exhaust on my 525e (also UK) seems very stable - as soon as is
      stops raining/hailing/snowing i'll shove my head underneath for a
      look for you and see how mine is mounted. I know for certain that
      just before the rear axle there should be 2 rubber rings holding the
      centre section up (had to replace one for the last MOT).

      Phil
      --- In bmwe28@..., phatbimma <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > hi there
      >
      > Im running a uk 87 525e and recently the back box or rear silencer
      > has started to blow. I have noticed that the only thing that holds
      up
      > this piece apart from the connection to the mid silencer is a
      bracket
      > on a rubber ring. This i think explains the fact that the join
      from
      > the pipe to said silencer has perished.
      >
      > I have another car for spares, a 520i, and on that the tailpipe
      has
      > also got a bracket attached to it, rendering the whole of the rear
      > silencer absolutely stable and not putting pressure on the join
      that
      > has perished on my 525e.
      >
      > I am wondering if this is a common remedy, do other people have
      this
      > problem, and also if there is a BMW standard fix/bracket for this
      job
      > or will it be a DIY job as it seems the previous owner has
      attempted
      > on the 520i?
      >
      > All advice gratefully appriciated as always,
      >
      > best,
      >
      > Sami

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic