5028Re: Advice on exhaust

  • bimmernutjob
    Mar 20, 2007
      sami

      exhaust system sounds identical to the us version:

      1. two rubber o-rings support in front of axle
      2. larger/heavier o-ring at rear of exhaust

      ( the rear o-ring is custom shaped and fits a certain way into brackets,
      this ring is bit trickier to install, a little lubricant might help )

      good luck- nutty

      --- In bmwe28@..., phatbimma <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > hi there
      >
      > Im running a uk 87 525e and recently the back box or rear silencer
      > has started to blow. I have noticed that the only thing that holds up
      > this piece apart from the connection to the mid silencer is a bracket
      > on a rubber ring. This i think explains the fact that the join from
      > the pipe to said silencer has perished.
      >
      > I have another car for spares, a 520i, and on that the tailpipe has
      > also got a bracket attached to it, rendering the whole of the rear
      > silencer absolutely stable and not putting pressure on the join that
      > has perished on my 525e.
      >
      > I am wondering if this is a common remedy, do other people have this
      > problem, and also if there is a BMW standard fix/bracket for this job
      > or will it be a DIY job as it seems the previous owner has attempted
      > on the 520i?
      >
      > All advice gratefully appriciated as always,
      >
      > best,
      >
      > Sami

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic