      From: bimmernutjob <bimmernutjob@...>
      To: bmwe28@...
      Sent: Saturday, August 18, 2007 1:23:44 AM
      Subject: [bmw e28] Re: 1986 528(e) ; m20 will not start

      sachida

      I am on my 5th bmw, in my years of owning 320's, 528's, 533.....on two occassions I have
      had mechanics mis-diagnos fuel pump problems, claiming the in-line (preasure) pump
      was bad. In each case, it was the pre-pump (in tank) pump and not the in-line pump.
      If the pre-pump is going bad then the in-line pump must work harder, and might make
      more noise as a result. I suggest a diagnos of both pumps.
      The in-tank pump is easy enough to get at:

      1. in trunk (boot) under carpet locate access plate
      2. remove 3 plate screws
      3. inspect for rust on connections

      replacing this pump is not difficult ( if rust is minimal )
      shop around for a good price, autohausaz.com, steve haygood ( chat member ), etc...

      regards nutty