      From: bmwe28@... [mailto:bmwe28@...] On
      Behalf Of bimmernutjob
      Sent: Saturday, August 25, 2007 1:55 PM
      To: bmwe28@...
      Subject: [bmw e28] Re: 1986 528(e) ; m20 will not start

      I may not have been clear enough:

      1. there should be 6 or 8 (?) small stud protruding up from metal
      edging ( circular cut away where in-tank pump rests ) these studs may
      get very rusty causing a difficult removal of pump.

      2. check electrical connectors, if you're lucky that might be the
      real culprit, and minimize your repair (?)

      3. In MY experience, the "in-tank" (pre-pump) either works or not,
      where as the "in-line" (BOSCH) pump may gradually create less and less
      preasure

      * finally, I am not an expert- good luck nutty

      --- In bmwe28@... <mailto:bmwe28%40yahoogroups.co.uk> ,
      Rick Mullaly <ricmullaly@...> wrote:

      > nutty,
      >
      > I am trying to do what you suggest. I took off the plate held by 3
      screws. I see 2 wires w/ "plugs" and 2 hoses. The larger hose, which
      I think comes from the tank, is hooked to a pipe off the pump with a
      screw clamp. There is minimal rust on that pipe (10%). The smaller
      hose is clamped to a smaller pipe off the pump. That pipe has
      moderate rust on it (about 50% of it has rust on it), and so does the
      screw clamp attaching it to the hose (70%). One of the receptors for
      a "plug" is held down with 4 nuts. These nuts have moderate rust too
      (60%).
      > I have had a reoccurring problem with this car where it turns over
      but won't "catch" to start, just keeps cranking. Already had a whole
      tune up.
      > Do you think the rust I described on the pre-pump is enough
      corrosion to cause the starting problem?
      > P.S. I removed the 6 bolts holding down the pre-pump as I wanted to
      check the bottom side. Although it was entirely disconnected, I was
      not able to lift it straight up and out. Is there a secret to getting
      it out? Is it this entire part that should be replaced? Thanks a
      lot. Rick

      Not sure
      > > which one you are referring to?
      > >

      > > ____________ _________ _________ __

      On
      > > Behalf Of Markie markd
      > > Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2007 6:42 PM
      > > To: bmwe28@yahoogroups. co.uk
      > > Subject: Re: [bmw e28] 1986 528(e) ; m20 will not start
      > >

      > > its a joke, its just two hose clamps, take off the hoses, and a
      sensor
      > > if i recall.
      > > its right in front of the gas tank, dont confuse it for the fuel
      filter
      > > however.
      > > make sure just to put jackstands under the car and thats pretty
      much it.

      > > sachida_raman <sraman@ <mailto:sraman% 40la-law. org> > wrote:
      > > Took the car on a 300 mile trip and "aired" it out on the highway.
      Got